Monday, November 12, 2012

Who Remembers Dial MTV?

     I will never forget coming home from General John Stricker Middle School as a 7th grader and turning on Dial MTV at 3pm everyday.  For those who aren't familiar, Dial MTV would tally call-in votes and determine the top ten songs/videos of the day.  The countdown would begin as I pushed my homework aside and sat in front of the massive 27' TV to see the countdown.  Did I mention I was also sitting at my drum kit, anxiously spinning my drumsticks like Tommy Lee.  Then a song I knew would come on and I could play along.  I learned to play drums that way and to this day, I could probably pound out any Motley Crue, Guns & Roses or The Outfield song (search "I Don't Want To Lose Your Love Tonight" to see the best video EVER!!!  I particularly love the tom-toms part from 2:03-2:27 and could play it in my sleep)  With real video's and music on TV essentially dead, where can we hear or see new artists?
     I hate to say, but it is difficult.  Established artists promote themselves with commercials, appearances, merchandise and sometimes scandal.  What can the up and coming band or singer do?  They have to try to succeed on one of the many reality competition shows to even get facetime on TV.  They can't sell merchandise because no one knows them and scandal is only good AFTER you are successful.  That leaves new artists with a long, arduous and well travelled road to follow.  Playing shows and building a following is the only way that a new artist can truly make it.  Long nights humping your equipment from one crap hole to another, making barely enough money for food and gas, much less suitable shelter.  Then there is a side of playing gigs that people who never played music don't realize, at some point you decide (as a band) to stop doing originals and do covers.  Once that happens, your dreams of making it big die, but the steady money making music beats doing a 9-5 job.
      The bands who stick with their dream, use social media to promote themselves and it actually is a great, inexpensive tool.  I still have friends trying to make it and they are all over Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and Instagram to get their name out there.  At the grassroots level, you are just trying to sell enough CD's and Merchandise at the shows to get you to the next one.  Even the big artists still get their bread and butter from shows.  The tickets, CD and merchandise sales at these performances are crucial and if you don't believe me, I challenge you to go to any show and not find merch. tables.  You can't.  The record companies have been stealing from artists since the recording industry started.  Now the consumer is stealing from the record companies and they take it from the artists' cut anyway.  Either way, the artist is surviving because they figure out ways to be creative and brand themselves.

3 comments:

  1. My mom has always told me about the old MTV as she sits down with me and watches these stupis shows like jersey shore and teen mom etc. The only music video air time that is on MTV now is only during 1 hour early in the morning. I am young, but even I remember when MTV used to be majority music videos and little shows. I totally agree with you that artist get themselves out there through their music videos. I think it is a very creative aspect that gives an artist a creative look and a sort of style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I for one don't remember dail MTV, but I do agree with you on the aspect if they work hard enough towards their dream and get their social media, they can survive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same about MTV, I remember being little and waiting to watch the music videos! I don't remember the dial, but I would be rocking around my living room as soon as they came on.

    ReplyDelete